Friday, June 13, 2014

Sunday June 8th 2014 Halfway to Canada

What a day. The 14 miles I had initially planned came far too quickly Turing today into a day of 22 insane miles. That's the last of the big mile days for me. I am half way to the end of my journey. I can't believe I've already been out here for 10 days. The terrain is already beginning to become challenging making me happy that today was the last of the big miles for me. Tonight I am staying at Skyline Lodge overlooking Skylight pond, it's absolutely beautiful. The difference in a lodge and a shelter, in relation to the Long Trail, is that lodges are fully enclosed while shelters are only 3 sided with an open front. This place does not disappoint. By far the nicest stop yet. I have the place to myself tonight, which will mark my first night alone since starting this trek over a week ago. I miss having company at night, it makes the time pass easier, however I couldn't ask for a better place to be alone, the water is a little far, but all in all this place is great. The frogs are making themselves known down at the pond and a pair of mallards are making their nightly rounds. Perhaps tonight I'll see a moose on the pond in the twilight. Judging by all the droppings, at any given time in the past 4 days I've had to be no more than 50 yards from a moose at given time. Still no sighting as of yet. Fingers crossed. A large flask of bourbon, left by an overnight  hiker, is providing warmth as well as a happy outlook for the rest of my journey. I hope sleep comes as easy tonight.  The mallards are quacking their little hearts out right now, wish I had some bread for em. Nature's soundtrack is especially awesome here, looking forward to their serenade...


-Fresh


ALSO,  is anyone actually reading this?

1 comment: