Friday, June 13, 2014

6/11-6/13

The rain sat in right after I pushed the first 8 of the day to Montclair Glen Shelter. The next 7 included the Camels Hump so I decided to hold at Montclair and watch the weather. That was Thursday. It's still raining and today is Saturday... I came over Camels Hump in 40 degree rain and 50 mph gusts. Intense is a good word to describe the experience. Many times the wind tossed me around with ease, at one point I nearly lost my pack cover. It was pretty tough. Camels hump is the 3rd highest peak in Vermont and the highest undeveloped peak in the state. Another 4000 footer that has given me zero view. The north side of Camels Hump approaching Duxbury rd is call Bamforth Ridge, the steepest section of trail on the entire Long Trail. The miles were tough, really tough. I see a pattern emerging the further north I push.  After I pushing up and over Camels Hump to Duxbury Rd I caught a hitch into Waterbury to pick up my resupply and get dried out. It's been a great stay. Last night I went out and ate one of the best meals in my life. Prohibition Pig is the truth. Best restaurant vibe, and probably the best meal I have ever eaten In my life. I would gladly take a train here just to eat there again. Watch for the pictures on my facebook.  I'm sitting at the laundromat right now waiting to pack out of town and conquer Mt Mansfield, Vermont's highest mountain, in the rain, again,with no view. Short day out today then the miles start flying by as I push towards Canada. Sticking to my schedule I will finish next Friday and my train arrives back in Atlanta on Sunday. the trip continues to amaze. 


-Fresh 

1 comment: