Thursday, June 19, 2014

6/16-6/17

I'm up for the sunrise today. First shelter the entire trip I've actually had a view worth getting up so early to see. It's 5:24 and the sun is just about to break over the Mount Belvedere. Yesterday started my slow down week to Canada, a mere 6.7 miles brought me here to Spruce Ledge Camp. Today is a bit longer at 8.4 over Belvedere to Tillotson Camp. These last few shelters here in Vermont have been more like cabins than lean-tos. Completetly enclosed and generally pretty nice. Hopefully Tillotson won't disappoint. I can just see the rim of the sun creeping over the mountain. More to come later. A 6:30 start this morning got me into the shelter at Tillotson Camp right around lunchtime. The miles were pretty easy today. I thought for sure I was gonna see a moose, given all the tracks and scat everywhere, but to no avail. I jumped 4 grouse today coming through some really tall fern which always manages to give me a boost of adrenalin. The forecast for tomorrow has cleared up but we should get some rain later this evening. I'm going to do my best to get another sunrise start tomorrow, getting into camp early always feels really good and the past 2 days has allowed me to take my time and enjoy the surroundings instead of big mile days with my head down and no time for side trails or vistas. I can't believe I'll be at the border in 23 more miles. What a great trip. Dinner time. 

-Fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment