Thursday, June 19, 2014

6/14-6/15

For some reason I can't stop pushing big days. Out of Waterbury, with an early start and the first of 2 back to back slack packs, I pushed all the way to Taylor Lodge. The rain still sticking with me off and on. It wasn't an enjoyable day.   Out of Taylor lodge I pushed up and over Mansfield! Finally the clouds parted and gave me excellent views, Vermont's highest peak did not disappoint, tons of exposure and lots of steep rock scrambling on the northern desent. I made really great time coming over Mansfield and with the weather holding I was able to push to Rt 15, up and over Madonna peak, and stay in the small town of Johnson avoiding the late night rain that came through, slack packing has really helped knock out this last couple of big days before the slow down to Canada, there's no way I could've pushed a big 20 over Mansfield without it.
 Another early start with great weather today.  The destination was Corliss Camp  and I made to here just before 3 only to be companied with a troop of Boy Scouts. Too much company. They're going all the way to Canada from here so I'm gona have to do what I can to keep in front of them. It's just too many people in camp at night. I cannot believe I am almost to Canada. From here I'm just 38 miles from reaching the border and completing my journey. It's a mixed bag of feelings.  I'm Happy to be completing the Hike for the Fallen. This thing that started back in January has turned into something amazing that I really never expected. This hike has allowed for a lot of reflection time as well as time to think on the future and where life goes from here. Such a great trip and still a few more days to soak it all in. 

-Fresh 

No comments:

Post a Comment