Friday, June 6, 2014

Story Spring to Bromley to Big Branch....to Little Rock Pond.

Yesterday was a big day. 19 miles and change from Story Spring, up and over Stratton Mountain, all the way to Bromley Mountain Shelter. The miles seemed to come fairly easy. I'm deep in moose country but I still haven't seen one. Plenty of scat though. I got on trail this morning at 715 and I've covered 8.4 miles. I'm stopped for lunch here at Peru Peak shelter, it's really nice. The weather is supposed to take a turn for the worst so I'm gonna try to push out the last 6.4 with a quickness. None of the guys I was hiking with made it to Bromley last night which was Kindof a bummer. I hitched into Manchester really fast and bought a couple airplane bottles of fireball. So last night Ray-Ray and I drank fireball and had a pretty good time. She's from Iowa and has some pretty cool experiences and stories to boot. Kindof jealous. Her boyfriend is an Alaskan fisherman and builds wooden boats. They're moving to an island in the Peugeot sound in a couple years. What a life. The sun is out so I'm going to press on. 

---UPDATE---
Made it to Big Branch with no rain, easy miles, no problems. That's where the good news ends. I made it to Big Branch by 3:00 after 2 hours of minimal rain and a lot of internal negotiations, I decided to push on 3.4 more miles to Little Rock Pond to position myself ahead for tomorrow.Bad decision. 1 mile into it the bottom opened up. I'm here, but everything is soaked. Pack covers can only do so much in walking 2 miles in a downpour. I hate being wet out here, it's misserable. My sleeping bag is dry as are my only spare change of clothes which I'm now wearing. The rain has the potential to keep at it for 3 more days. If only I'd have stayed put. Now I'm ahead of schedule but tomorrow I'm going to have to get into town and somehow get dried out and start back at square 1. One of the few things you can't control out here is the weather. 2 more days til the 100 mile mark. Think happy thoughts. Dry,happy thoughts.

-Fresh 

No comments:

Post a Comment