Friday, June 13, 2014

6/9-6/10 ups and downs

Yesterday started well. Pushed big miles out of Skyline Pond to Battell shelter just North of Lincoln Gap. I was in the shelter and set up by about 6. That's when things went south. I was solo at the shelter with a couple of day hikers passing by from time to time going up Mt Abe. I went to the privy (outhouse) after eating and cleaning up, as I returned I noticed someone going through my pack as another stood by and watched. After a brief confrontation and an exchange of words, I was completely unnerved,being solo and outnumbered, so I pushed back down to the road crossing at Lincoln Gap. When I reached the bottom I was able to decompress and actually see if anything was missing, they got what little cash I was carrying for emergencies but everything gear wise was intact. I caught a ride down into the town of Lincoln to the Old Hotel B&B where I was able to call the VT state troopers as well as the forestry service law enforcement. I'll leave the incident at that. The owner of the Old Hotel ended up being a retired firefighter and still remained active as a chaplain. They were very gracious hosts, I canny say enough for how well I was treated and I was not charged anything. It was good to be able to calm my nerves and relax a bit. In all the time I've spent backpacking I have never had a negative experience with anyone, I was surprised and upset by the whole thing, but it doesn't change my outlook. 

I got a late start today, wasn't on trail hiking til around 10. The weather looked grim but managed to hold out all day, clearing later in the afternoon. I spent most of the day ridge walking on Mt Abe. I was excited to get above treeline and put another couple 4000 footers under my belt. I had high hopes for killer views in the alpine zone but I was in the clouds the entire day with no view to speak of or photos to show for my time up. The northern side of Mt Abe, coming down through the Appalachian Gap was the steepest and most technical section of trail I have dealt with so far. Lots of rebar, wooden ladders, and lots of rock scrambles. I had intended on doing 14 and change today however, the late start and difficult terrain had me finished at 12. I'm safe and sound here at Birch Glen shelter. This is another favorite of the trip so far, big enclosed shelter with a great water source close by and a really nice fire pit. There's a couple guys here tonight and we've had a great fire and good conversation. Zeus the Burmese mountain dog is here too and has taken up the bottom area of my rack. It's been a good day. 

Still no moose sightings but I remain hopeful. The moose clearly missed the unspoken rule about not pooping on the trail. Sometimes I feel like I'm hiking through their personal bathroom. There's just no avoiding it. Tomorrow I conquer Camel's Hump! Big miles and a big climb and the longest steepest decent of the entire Long Trail... I've already stayed up far too late. 

106 miles to go!

-Fresh 

No comments:

Post a Comment