Friday, June 6, 2014

A few days coverage

It's been a few days since I've taken the time to update so bear with me as I try to recollect the past 2 days. After getting soaked at Little Rock Pond I got into a funk. I pushed big miles up and over White Rocks and had enough time to spare that I was able to hitch into Clarendon and get my gear dried out before pushing a final 1.3 to Clarendon Shelter.  The next morning I was up and moving early to conquer Killington, the first 4000 footer of my trip. 3 miles outside of Clarendon shelter I caught my first bit of trail magic on this trip, just before the Kiefer Road crossing a sign pointed to a bag in a small stream that contained Ice cold Barqs Rootbeer! There were only 2 left and for a brief moment I felt guilty knowing that there were 3 other hikers somewhere behind me, that lasted as long as it took to take a sip lol. Just the sugar kick I needed. It was delicious. Thank you whoever you are. In 2011 tropical storm Irene really screwed up this area, I was forced to take a small detour because the trail had been washed out. Hopefully the GMC will get it squared away this season. As I walked the detour I saw a large red fox, we made brief eye contact before he ran off. You're never really alone out here. Further up the trail, as I pushed on, I was startled by some rustling in the underbrush next to the trail. Suddenly I'm being chased by a pissed off mother grouse! She had a nest and a fresh brood of chicks right next to the trail. She chased me for about 50 ft. It was semi hilarious. Usually they are so avoiding of people. She came at me with vengeance in her eyes. Pushing onward and up Killington, reaching Coopers Lodge by about noon, I decided to take the .2 mile trail to the actual summit. It was worth it. After some photos I decided to do a little exploring. I remembered in 2010 hearing about some of the RiffRaff crew staying in the ski patrol warming hut. JACKPOT! The hut was open and the power was on! So I decided to cut the day short and stay for the night. The views are amazing. I climbed up the support tower for a large ski gondola and sat for a while watching the fog roll in on the mountain. I was forced down when the rain started. It rained most of the night. The fog is heavy this morning but as soon as it breaks I will push onward to the Inn at The Long Trail for my first night off trail and a shower! I will also pass the 100 mile mark today! It's all very exciting. I've managed to get a full day ahead of schedule but constantly pushing out big miles. The new pack helps with that in a big way. I cannot say enough good things about Mile High Mountaineering. I plan to write a full review of the pack as soon as I finish my trip. It's 7:30am and the fog is sitting heavy, but I am getting antsy so I believe I will push on. This trip has been amazing so far. I'll hit the halfway point in another day and a half. I should be able to complete my journey in 19 days if all continues to move relatively smooth. Fingers crossed. 

-Fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment